The next Photocycling Tour will be on in 2013, dates to be determined. Download the info and registration form HERE. Fill out the form and click the submit button at the end. You will receive a bill via email.
Why a Photo Cycling Tour in the Flint Hills of Kansas?
Soaring and diving from hilltop to valley along one of the quiet country highways through the Flint Hills will quickly challenge your notions of prairie. Flat? Not here. Empty? Not if you look closely. The continent’s largest remaining tract of tallgrass is also one of America’s unique places, harboring a wealth of adventure, beauty, and history. The region’s sweeping horizons and carpets of wildflowers captivate artists and enchant visitors. (from Kansas Flint Hills)
What is the best way to experience the Flint Hills?
Simply by bicycle, there’s no better way to fully take in the beauty of the area. Hence the Adventure Monkey Flint Hills Photocycling Tours.
We offer a three day tour allowing you to get away and cycle through the last expanse of open range tall grass prairie in North America.
Base camp is located at Camp Wood YMCA in Elmdale, Kansas. Here are a few images of our beautiful and serene base camp.
Sunrise shoots and instruction
The Adventure Monkey Flint Hills Photocycling Tours are a perfect getaway and educational weekend for the intermediate cyclist and above. These tours are perfect for people that:
- Want to learn more about digital photography and post processing of images
- Want to experience the beauty and remoteness of the Flint Hills of Eastern Kansas by bicycle
- Want to experience a challenging cycling trip through the Flint Hills
If this sounds like you, there are a few things to consider.
The Flint Hills are remote and hard on bicycle tires and therefore:
- You must be an experienced enough cyclist to be able to handle 35 miles of hilly gravel roads in one day of riding
- You must own a bike that can handle riding on gravel (a mountain or XC bike with good tires)
- You must be at least 16 or have a record of handling longer, challenging bicycle tours
This is a photo-cycling tour which means we will be stopping to shoot and discuss the photographic aspects of shooting in the Flint Hills. If you are looking for a racing atmosphere, you won’t find it here. The point of this tour is to allow people to fully experience the terrain, beauty, remoteness and peace of the Flint Hills. But remember, it is the Flint Hills and we also want the ride to be challenging for the participants. Be ready to climb hills, fight the wind and have a great time.
For the itinerary and more details click HERE to download the info and registration form.
- This will be a weekend tour going from Friday to Sunday. Itinerary
- Price includes meals*, lodging and two classroom photography sessions
- We will use Camp Wood as our base camp for the entire weekend
- Camp wood provides the lodging and you must bring your own bedding, pillow, towels, toiletries and soap.
- Saturday will be the long ride day to experience what photocycling is all about (around 35 miles).
You will need to bring the following supplies for the weekend:
- Your bike
- extra tubes
- on the bike nutrition
- water bottles or hydration pack
- camera and supplies (see details below)
- cycling clothes (three days on the bike)
- lounging clothes
- cycling shoes and lounging shoes
- personals and bedding
- something to take notes with in the classroom
How to Register:
The next Photocycling Tour will be on September 14-16! Download the info and registration form HERE. Fill out the form and click the submit button at the end. You will receive a bill via email.
For more information download the info and registration form. Once you fill it out and click the submit button I will send you a bill via Paypal. Easy peasy.
$225 for the Friday to Sunday Tour which includes:
- Cabin Lodging with showers and beds (you provide bedding)
- Meals* (Saturday - breakfast, lunch and dinner, Sunday - breakfast) at a healthy all you can eat buffet
- 2 photography classes with Eric Benjamin
- 3 opportunities to ride (Friday, Saturday and Sunday with Saturday being the long ride)
- One on one with Eric in the field
- Three relaxing days spent in the Flint Hills on bikes
- Lots of gravel
*Friday’s meal will be at a local, delicious restaurant in Chase County. Bring cash.
What kind of Camera should I have to come to this tour?
Do you have a camera? Do you want to learn to capture better pictures by getting the most out of your camera? If yes, then this tour is definitely for you.
Everything from point and shoot cameras to top of the line dslr’s are welcome. Not only is the riding good and the scenery breathtaking but everyone will learn something about photography on this tour too. I work with beginners to get the most out of their cameras along with experienced shooters to maximize their ability to capture the most from every shot. Don’t worry about not having a fancy camera. It’s not the camera that takes amazing pictures, it’s the person using the camera, the photographer that captures the image. I shoot many pictures on this blog site with my phone camera to prove that to you. Photography is the art of “seeing.” I try to teach you to “see” along with using manual settings to get the most from your camera. Everyone is welcome! Just remember all your equipment will be riding along gravel and dirt roads, so plan appropriately!
Something to keep in mind too. This is a stress free weekend for you. The riding will be challenging, the shooting will be relaxing and the friendships will last forever. This is not about being the best photographer, it’s about riding your bike, taking better pictures and creating new relationships.